Friday, October 2, 2009

Why Convert Anyway?

This research and business writing class (AEE3033) has typically been a high enrollment course for our department, which allows graduate students an opportunity to teach in a large lecture format and manage multiple TAs. Students in this course are from all different majors with a variety of career interests. Due to high enrollments and multiple disciplines, this course brings money to the department and allows the department to offer more assistanships.

While enrollment in both sections continues to remain high during the fall and spring semesters, summer enrollment has declined. There are many reasons for this, a few are: some scholarships do not pay during the summer and students want to go home during the summer to work or visit with friends and family. After visiting with my department chair, we both agreed that an online version of this course would really make sense over the summer. The department will still offer a live version for those students who would prefer to take the course in this format.

After our discussion, I immediately volunteered to teach the online course this upcoming summer (2010). I am excited about this opportunity and consider it an thrilling learning experience. However, each time I meet with someone new I realize this may be way more work than I initially realized. Because this process is full of learning and growth opportunities, I thought my experience could benefit others through this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. This is a fabulous idea and I believe you will be successful with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey - my daughter - the blogger - I am proud of you. You are a regular Julie and Julia - but hopefully without the foul language (because she attributed it to her mother cussing when she grew up and I did NOT use Julie's favorite word!) Luv ya Mom

    ReplyDelete